Susan's "subject matter, context and medium...present a coherent artistic vision"
John Torreano, Clinical Professor of Studio Art, NYU

"Great stuff. Love your work."
Seymour Chwast

Search This Blog

Sunday, July 17, 2022

Cathedral of Bones


Cathedral of Bones, acrylic on linen, 18 x 24 inches, $2,000 xxxxxxxxxxx

































I'M IN MY STUDIO painting a skeleton, drinking coffee out of a bone china coffee cup and thinking about bones. And, yes, bone china is actually made from bones. This moderately creepy bit of knowledge, my recently finished painting, Cathedral of Bones, and the fact that Halloween is imminent, have combined to inspire me to share some thoughts on bones. I became familiar with them at an early age because my father was an orthopedic surgeon or, in the vernacular, an old sawbones. 

Make no bones about it, our skeletons have done a lot for us.  I greatly admire them and do not understand how they got such a bad name. In addition to their more prosaic raisons d' etre of supporting our bodies, allowing us to walk upright and protecting our brains (in my case, moderately successfully), they are a striking engineering achievement and incredibly beautiful to observe.

My first skeleton was the one that hung from the ceiling in my father’s office. At first I thought it spooky. But I soon befriended it and danced with those merry, dangling bones in our private, ether-scented ballroom to the rhythmic clickety-clack of Dad’s secretary’s typewriter.

There was also a human skull on the desk with whom I had many in depth conversations about, well, bones, as well as other important matters crucial to a four year old, such as what happened to its teeth and what it's like to be dead. In an effort to cheer Skully up, I used to dress it with my mother's jewelry. Perhaps this was the precursor to Damien Hurst's diamond-encrusted skull, For the Love of God.

 

My next encounter with bones occurred some years later when I tore some tendons in my neck and shoulders. Upon entering the radiologist's office after my x-rays had been taken, I noticed that hundreds of other x-rays were hanging on the walls–sort of like portraits. Until then, I had thought that skeletons were generic and would look pretty much alike. However, I was startled to see that my x-ray looked exactly like me. I could pick "me" out instantaneously. As I stared at the dark, empty facial sockets in that roentgengram, my eyes itched to be cradled in them. Those bones claimed me. The skull, clavicle, sternum and all 24 ribs, some sort of grim ersatz chorus, sang to me: "Yes, we are thee! And this is what you’ll be!"

For a while, I took solace in the knowledge that my bones will be around for a long time after the rest of me goes organic and returns to the earth. I imagine what that will be like in Cathedral of Bones. But the cathedral will not last forever. When I pass on, I will not have to say goodbye to my bones right away. They are so strong that, depending on soil conditions, it may take hundreds of years before they disintegrate and my remains become one with the universe. But when they do, it's...

Bone voyage!

PS  I hope this blog didn't chill you to the bone, I meant it to be humerus (pun intended)
 

4 comments:

  1. i am watching how consistent you are to your own way, your hand, your gestures..technically you stay true to your sense of seeing..your icons appear over and over in new contexts taking on new meanings…which become deeper and more complex...and also how you are taking risks with content/subject… expanding so your gesture evolves thru your exploration of content…you seem to be following threads of your own dream time that emerge onto the canvas..BEAUTIFUL!

    The left upper hand of this painting..the ravens feather tail and the trees ..this corner is so intriguing ..while being blown off the canvas... contrasting with the upper arm bone heading solidly into the earth…yet where the bone hits ...there is a baby bird in a nest …is breath taking…life feeding off itself …have looked at it over and over….and the mayan pyramid…maybe you are traveling there at night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was one of the producers of "Creative Women Today" when you
    appeared on our show. I just want to tell you how much I enjoy your emails, and newsletter and seeing your paintings. The last one about bones was so creative. Keep
    them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a DELIGHT on canvas as well as paper.
    Love, love your "musings and cruising about life!
    My dear, I predict the next credit beside your name will be author!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so wonder-full! I love your writing and paintings!
    Bone-voyage my friend, in case I don't see
    you before your journey south

    ReplyDelete